Monday, January 01, 2007

To Spa, to Spa...


I have discovered the perfect antidote to post-new year excess: The St David's Spa in Cardiff.

I have a bad habit of thinking too far ahead. Three weeks ago I was ecstatic at the thought of my week off between Xmas and New Year and two weeks ago I started to feel blue at the prospect of going back to work on 2 January. I had experienced all of the highs and lows of my holiday before it had even started.

Knowing how I was likely to feel come New Year's Day, I took the initiative and booked myself in for a New Year's Day treatment at the St David's Spa. I am fortunate enough to live a short stroll away from the St David's - especially handy after a late night like last night. And so, this morning, while Mr E and our houseguests were still asleep (or in the whirly pit from what I hear), I crept out to get the new year off to a good start.

I am fairly new to the whole Spa malarky, so I am still getting up to speed on the rules of etiquette. However, I have quickly learned the importance of arriving early enough for your appointment and not rushing away at the end, so as to get the full benefit of the fluffy robes and relaxation room. I can now stretch a 30 minute treatment into a 90 minute indulgence. It really is a great way to spa on a budget.

The relaxation room at St David's has fabulous panoramic views over Cardiff Bay and the wetlands. After my treatment I decided I needed another half hour in the relaxation room - I didn't want the effects of my massage to rub off straight away and I was also hoping that the longer I left it, the higher the chances that Mr E would have done the washing up by the time I got home. A cup of peppermint tea later and I was ready to face the new year with renewed vigour.

I arrived home to find the washing up untouched. Never mind, I thought, I will eat something wholesome and healthy before clearing up. Only there was nothing healthy in the fridge, so I ended up eating the chocolate chip shortbread and Kettle Chips left over from last night. Well it is still Xmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home