Friday, January 19, 2007

A tough week...and treating oneself


Have you ever had one of those weeks where everything you touch turns to shit?. Well, this has been one of those weeks.

I won't bore you with the details (and believe me, they are very boring) but needless to say that I managed a total of 1 lunch break all week (not bad going compared so some weeks, I admit) and every night was punctuated with "nocturnal moments" (lawyer-speak for waking at about 3am bathed in cold sweat at the thought of what might go wrong on one of your files).

Three-completions-at-five-to-five-on-a-Friday later and it is, at last, the weekend! I almost don't know what to do with myself I am so excited at the thought (although an early dinner out with Mr E, followed by Ugly Betty is a good start).

This week has got me thinking about the need to compensate oneself after a hard week. I remind myself that if I want to earn the money I earn, I have to accept some degree of stress. Fair enough. But that makes it even more important to treat yourself when you can.

My "compensation" began mid-week (during my one and only lunch break) when I took myself off to Howells. I often while away the odd (or should that be rare?) lunch hour in Howells. It is probably my favourite shop in Cardiff and almost makes you forget about the total lack of high end shops in what is meant to be a capital city.

Anyway, I was browsing in the Origins section, admiring the lovely-smelling things, when I fell into the radar of possibly the friendliest sales assistant I have ever had the good fortune to meet. I got away fairly lightly, with just a tube of White Tea Skin Guardian - and a whole bunch of freebies. It was a relatively small purchase, but it has given me such pleasure. I have been stroking my now baby-soft face with an (albeit fleeting) sense of yogic calm for the past three days.

Now, I don't advocate spending beyond your means, but I am a strong believer in saving to buy really lovely things every now and then. Almost everyone has their "essential luxuries". These are, of course, entireley personal - one person's basic, is another person's luxury, is another person's idea of hell.

For what it's worth, my essential luxuries are:

Monthly scalp massages at St David's Spa
Good chocolate from Charbonnel et Walker (Prestat is also good - although I would never turn my nose up at a bar of good old Cadbury's)
Proper cheese (a little of which goes a long way)
Anything from Fortnum & Mason
Aveda Shampoo and Shower Gel
Liz Earle and Origins skincare
Beautiful jewellery from wherever you find it

It almost makes it all worth it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home