Monday, November 19, 2007

Chilly!

Considering autumn began circa July this year, it is hardly surprising that bleak mid-winter has arrived already.

Mr E and I have been house-hunting all weekend, having sold our flat (subject to contract, I might add - the solicitor in me flinches every time someone announces that they have sold their home when in fact they have accepted an offer). We left for a 3pm viewing at about 2.30pm yesterday and the street lamps were just coming on. Streams of cars, crept along the flooded streets, fog lights blazing. From that point, all sense of day and night went out of the window. My circadian rhythms were so skewed that I began to crave supper, even though I had just had lunch. When I got home, just after 4, I went to bed.

Which brings me onto the difficult question of what to wear to work at this time of year. Me and my inner eco-warrior walk to work, which is a good 20 minute schlep, along a very long, open road, that seems to channel most south westerly winds as they hit the UK. Such a journey necessitates a strong pair of shoes and a thick coat. I arrive at the office windswept and literally glowing with exertion ("you look healthy" my secretary remarks, meaning that I look a complete mess). I maintain a cosy, yet diminishing temperature for the next half an hour, when the air-con suddenly kicks in and I reach for my suit jacket. The rest of the day follows a predicable pattern of adding and then removing layers as I move from one part of the office to the other. The British formality of talking about the weather ascends to new heights in my office. We rarely discuss the weather outside (Outside! What is this mysterious place you refer to?). No, we discuss the micro-climate weather systems which sweep throughout our floor. "Ooh, its cold over here at the moment, I can definitely feel a draught". "No, actually I'm just right". "Ooh, well you're usually cold, so if you feel just right, it must be warm" and so on.

Of course, nothing prepares you for the shock of leaving in the dark to find that it is twenty degrees lower outside, or worse still, twenty degrees higher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home